Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Teddy Bear/Hound Dog

So, the topic of my sexuality, and dating in general, hasn't really been brought up on the blog yet, so let's rectify that. I've had some interesting events occur in the last year or so regarding who is my current boyfriend, and of course, my mind has found a way to tie it to musical theater. But we'll get to that later.

Basically, I'm dating someone for the second time. Gasp, what, I don't even, how could you. I know. About a year and a half ago, when we were in school together, we dated. He was just coming to terms with the fact that he liked men (And I had been out since freshman year) so there was a bit of an issue there, but we kind of tried to work around it. But, in the beginning, there was like a three day period where I was ridiculously happy with the fact that there was actually someone around my age who was gay and attracted to me, and I was blissfully seated in that "talking" stage that shouldn't exist but totally does anyway. Then the drama surprised me from behind, like a loogie spat by a llama you just fed.

This drama-llama came in the form of Facebook, which, as you know, is basically the end-all when it comes to relationships. I, drunk on my excitement, requested that I be able to put that I was 'in a relationship' on Facebook, even if he wasn't tagged on it, as he still had a foot in the closet. He agreed, reluctantly, so I did so. And then my neck got a huge wad of snot all over it.

And then he broke up with me the next day.

Sort of.

He had a minor freak-out, and I got angry, then he got angry, and then we were both really angry and then we didn't speak to each other for a year.

Suddenly, I start getting text messages every morning. Before I get up, I have a good morning text. Even if I completely ignored it, before I went to bed, I had a goodnight text. I was still angry and resentful of our previous encounter, but I started opening up and responding more and more the more he persisted. At first, and I guess this is exactly why I feel more okay about our relationship now, I was a total douche in response to everything that was sent to me, and sometimes I'd ignore text messages just because I could. But eventually I started responding, and he kept trying, and I finally decided to consider dating him again.

And, here we are. And it's going well so far. But, I mean, we aren't without our fair share of drama this time. I won't go into it here, since there are still some issues with who can and can't know we're dating, but suffice it to say he'll be leaving for an extended period of time, soon, and it'll suck when he does. Especially if I continue to build feelings for him at the rate I am now, I will be crushed when he leaves.

But anyway, this is related to my musical theater interests because our musical this year is All Shook Up, an Elvis jukebox musical. Why yes, that does sound terrible, and yes, I am apprehensive, but the best song on the album is a medley of Teddy Bear and Hound Dog, in which the main character, Chad, attempts to convince a love interest, Sandra, that she should be with him. However, Sandra believes him to be a silly scoundrel that isn't worth her time. And I guess it sort of felt like that between me and my current boyfriend, for a while. He tried for probably about three months to convince me that he was worthwhile, and I spat things back at him that were probably pretty hurtful. But he stuck with me, and I'm glad he did.

I even held back on the mushiness and this post was still a little sickly sweet, and not funny at all. Oh, well. I'm sure my ability to blog humorously will reappear sometime.

Does this alternative lifestyle make me look hipster?

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like me and Quinn. Like really. We are living each others life. Except that apparently my relationship is more gender ambiguous than yours? Eh. Who knows.

    ReplyDelete