Friday, October 29, 2010

This is Totally How I Remember my Childhood

So, I was super pretentious and full of myself as a kid. The vast majority of grades K-7 can be summed up like this, by my recollection:

TEACHERS
Wow! Check this kid out! He's a genius!

ME
Chill out, Guys. Just because I have a college-age reading level in kindergarten--

TEACHERS
GEEEENIUUUUUUS. You should totally skip a grade!

RANDOM TEACHER
Skipping a grade is scary. Not very many people pass the test, and then they cry.

ME
Crying is terrible! I don't want to take the test!

PARENTS
It's your choice, our little genius sweetheart.

TEACHERS
Well, then, no skipped grade for you.

FUTURE ME
Why didn't I-- but I could have-- damn it.

THIRD GRADE TEACHER
We're going to do Charlotte's Web for our play. Now, either Joseph or Caleb is going to be Wilbur. You guys choose.

JOSEPH
Well, I mean-- I guess I could-- If given the opportunity--

ME
I'LL DO IT!

THIRD GRADE TEACHER
Sweet. Caleb gets the lead, Joseph is a rat.

JOSEPH
That's cool, I guess.

DRAMA TEACHERS FROM THEN ON
Whoa, you can understand subtexts, connotations, and inflection?! GENIUS!

ME
Another lead role? Wow, I would say that was unexpected except it totally wasn't.

EVERYONE
Stop being so full of yourself!

ME
If I was anything but modest, I would think everyone thought I was cocky.

EVERYONE
We do!

ME
Well, I'm gonna have long hair.

EVERYONE
YOU LOOK LIKE A GIRL!

ME
No, I totally don't!

EVERYONE
YES YOU DO!

ME
Okay, fine, I do. I'll cut it.

EVERYONE (ESPECIALLY MY DAD)
Thank God!



And those are pretty much all the events I remember from my childhood. Great, huh?

Do these memories make me look hipster?

1 comment:

  1. Growing your hair was...a questionable decision.

    Also, these labels are funny.

    ReplyDelete